PDA

View Full Version : ATI fires back

Hedron
05-26-2004, 10:43 AM
While the company is not pushing the envelope with respect to features, ATi remains true to its historical course performance-wise. ATi promises that the top model X800 XT Platinum Edition, which is the most powerful model for the time being, offers twice the performance of a Radeon 9800 XT and even beats NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra. Beyond that, the company is confident that even the smaller model, called the X800 Pro, will be able to cause NVIDIA's flagship major headaches - all the while consuming less power and using a simpler cooling solution.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/index.html

Tezbiros
05-26-2004, 11:20 AM
So your going to buy one?

Hedron
05-26-2004, 11:25 AM
No.

But I will be amused by the price of everythign else dropping, and may buy a better card for my 2nd computer.

XENONIX
05-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Interesting:

Technologically, ATi's 3D architecture has fallen behind that of NVIDIA, and it is now the green guys that can claim to have the more innovative chip and can rally support for new features. Although the X800 cards can now process longer and therefore more complex shader programs than the R9800XT, they are still limited to 24-bit floating-point precision and ShaderModel 2.0. It remains to be seen whether the GeForce 6800 Ultra, with its support for ShaderModel 3.0 and 32-bit fps precision, will enjoy any tangible performance advantages in practice.

So.. NVIDIA is sticking their neck out by introducing a solid card that is able to support newer programming techniquies- yet the majority of game writers aren't supporting it yet. In the meantime, ATi is just releasing another card based on older-tech .. but beefing it up drastically.

So it's kinda like GM.. who keeps on building low-tech pushrod engines.. except they get better gas mileadge and way more horsepower/torque.. yet others go the way of DOHC smaller displacement engines with high-rev's.. and turbochargers..

-xenonix-

Hedron
05-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Yeh. You see alot of that type of tech choice in the market.

Intel always pushes raw horsepower with a less efficient instruction set, but more die-shrinks and better expandability to higher clock speeds.

AMD always has a better instruction set but lower clock speeds. Thus their hardware costs less to produce to get similar performance and therefore is cheaper.

That's why Intel's newest processor releases are usually actually worse than the existing ones - they sacrifice efficiency at XX clock speed to allow expansion to a higher clock speed limit. So the early adopters get zilch.

Hed

XENONIX
05-26-2004, 11:33 AM
and.. was it just me.. or did many of those performance tests show the NVIDIA card was still numero uno? *shrug* I didn't read through the tests thoroughly

Sul Morthos
05-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Depending on which tests you read...

From the two mags I read about the tests (and I have not read Anandtech or Tom's Hardware yet)...they were fairly evenly split.

It APPEARS that Nvidia would win the benchmark tests, but that ATI would win the actual game performance tests.

And those will flip-flop every time an updated driver is released. Bottom line? Both are going to be good cards.

Raidan
05-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Very interesting - I was considering to just buy the 9800 Pro and overclock it. Now with this news maybe I'll see where the 9800 XT prices are heading...

Faust
05-26-2004, 05:56 PM
I'm partial to the Car analogy:

Chevy - DZ302 Camero, Aluminum short Block 302ci with 11.5:1 compression and a Doug Nash 5 speed. Good looking and one bad ass car for the Trans Am Class.

Dodge - Superbird 440ci Hemi with a hydroslush 3 speed. Looked like shit and weighed 5,000 lbs but with that much horsepower who fucking cares? -=neep neep=-

Point: Some companies work at making things more elagant, some companies just throw huge horsepower at a problem.

That said, I use ATI cards, but think Nvidia is the primary technology driver in the industry. (also drove a Dodge in the MuscleCar days)

Onyx
05-27-2004, 05:57 AM
NVIDIA FOREVER! Na seriously, people should post some benchmark scores using futuremark just to see how thier systems with the different configs/cards pair up.

I personally have always stuck with Nvidia based cards although thier latest one (the 6800) is too fucking expensive yet not to mention it requires a PS upgrade to a miniumum of 480 (I think?). Maybe in my next computer I'll give ATI a try. I keep hearing great things about them. That being said, I've never once had a problem with any Nvidia card as far as performance goes. I use the 5950 now and with graphics in Planetside turned to max running at 1024x768, I have no performance issues at all.

Onyx
KAAOS