PDA

View Full Version : New Monitor or X800

Corkorle
05-21-2004, 04:49 PM
I have a Gateway VX900T (19inch) CRT - 4 yrs old -- should i use the one that came with the dell - its a 17inch CRT or should i get a newer 19+ inch - probably CRT since the LCD is an assload.

or....should i get an X800. I have an ATI Radeon 128mb 9800 Pro.

Im getting graduation money so i might as well get more stuff for my comp :P~

Corkorle
05-21-2004, 09:47 PM
C'mon! Tyo or Hedron or somebody smart! which should i get :P

Faust
05-21-2004, 11:14 PM
I would suggest getting a 21" screen, even if it isn't the fastest or the thinest on the desktop. Mine was around $350. It's MASSIVE big, but very much worth the money, IMHO. Once you've gotten used to a 21" screen it's hard to use anything else.

Course, I'm not the greatest reference on high end gear.

Sul Morthos
05-22-2004, 12:13 AM
I've had a 17" Hitachi LCD since last March, love the thing. Replaced a 19" Viewsonic with it...and while the CRT was definitely crisp, if you get a quality LCD, you won't miss a beat.

CRTs are much more affordable, but are slowly on the way out (slowly as there is an LCD shortage that will last a good half of this year).

Tezbiros
05-22-2004, 07:14 AM
21" CRT if clarity is whay you want.
19" LCD If size and weight are a concern. Most 19" LCDs are the same viewable size as 21' CRTs.

Yes if you have $500 you just need to get rid of an X800 is a worthy purchase.

/Player

You know there are better things you could do with that money.
/dad

Corkorle
05-22-2004, 07:46 AM
a 19" Viewsonic LCD is like $600. a 21" CRT is like $400

When looking for a monitor, what do you normally look for so you know its good?

What are some reliable companies that you guys have?

Tezbiros
05-22-2004, 09:00 AM
On a CRT:
Dot pitch .25 or lower
Supported refresh rates.
Brand

On a LCD:
Refresh rate. The lower the better. Under 20ms at least for gaming.
Size. 19" + 18" usally have a max resolution of 1280x1024.
Brand

Every thing you want to know is right here. http://www.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

Sul Morthos
05-22-2004, 10:15 AM
And remember in terms of viewable size - my 17" LCD is typically within 1/2" of the size of a 19" CRT.

You lose a good inch and slightly more due to the edge curve of a CRT.

I would love to have a 19" LCD. Have one at work, it is not a great refresh brand at work so would not want that one at home, but the size rocks.

I just don't need to get rid of this Hitachi anytime soon. 16ms refresh rate is a tough LCD.

StrikerTek
05-22-2004, 11:04 AM
I have 2 desktops at my house.

My gaming computer is using this Mitsubishi 19" CRT: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-220&depa=0

The other is using this Viewsonic 17" LCD: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-276&depa=0

I have compared the two side by side for gaming in PS and Halo. The CRT looks worlds better than the LCD does, and it is a 16ms LCD screen. The colors on the LCD look much more washed out and it blurs and ghost a lot. The LCD also only supports resolutions up to 1280x1024, whereas the CRT can get much higher while still maintaining a better picture and refresh rates.

For me, all I need is a 19" CRT, and this is the best one I've found. But if you have the extra cash, you can go for a 21" if you want. But I would definitely recommend a CRT over an LCD for playing games. You get a better picture, higher resolutions, and faster refresh rates, all for a much lower price.

Corkorle
05-22-2004, 05:14 PM
So this would be a good monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-124&depa=1

Tezbiros
05-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Yes

MACanon
05-22-2004, 06:55 PM
I'd highly recomend that you look at a monitor. You will have a monitor probably a lot longer than you will have that video card and your current video card is plenty fast enough for the games out and the games that will be coming out.

Viewsonic maks good monitors, Samsung is making nice monitors these days as well, they'd probably be my top choice brands.

Bigger is better without a doubt.

And for gaming I don't like LCDs. They have issues with Black level (at least all the ones i've seen), you have to be on just the right angle for it to look good (which when you are, the text is really sharp etc. which is nice for internet surfing). They take up a butt load less room than those 21" CRTs (I have a 21" CRT from 1993, that thing is seriously deep! and it actually started to colapse a cheap computer desk because it's so heavy LOL!.).

Ayhow go get a big CRT, 21". You won't regret it. CRTs also allow you to run at any res you want basically. The LCDs have "native" resolutions which in gaming is a real pain in the azz because as you know when you increase your resolution you loose performance. Many LCDs bigger than 17" are 1280x1024 res which in some more advanced games (especially in the future) will reduce your frame rate compared to being able to run at 1024x768 etc. Plus the refresh rate of the actual screen on a CRT is measured in Nanno seconds and an LCD is measured in MS. LCDs have made leaps and bounds in this refresh rate issue (which can cause slight loss of sharpness when moving) but still they arn't quite on par with CRTs yet. Plus LCDs cost a lot more money anyhow.

Newbold
05-22-2004, 07:04 PM
www.monitorman.com

I got one of these: http://www.monitorman.com/CM811_21_Monitor_By_Hitachi.html

Its very nice to game on.

Corkorle
05-22-2004, 08:08 PM
I stay away from refurbished if i can.

Xenomorph
05-24-2004, 08:40 AM
Viewsonic maks good monitors

:lol: omfg I haven't luaghed so hard in a long time, I almost pissed on myself. On a bad day i'll have to remember that one to get myself out of a shitty mood.

At my job we did a big monitor push and someone sudjested we used View Sonics, so our manager ordered 90 of them. In 6 months everysingle one went bad, and they all had different problems, scratchs INSIDE the screen, black blochies, and your normal black screen with green power light on.

I will never buy a view Sonic reguardless if its for home or work use.

Raidan
05-24-2004, 09:20 AM
a 19" Viewsonic LCD is like $600. a 21" CRT is like $400

You in the ballpark with the LCD (I buy NEC 1960NXi for $619 at work - you can do better $$ at the consumer level) but your nuts ($400 for the CRT) Try about $250-$300 for a good CRT.

I bought my 19 inch Viewsonic for $349 - 3 years ago. There was a cheaper model for $299 but I wanted the .26dpi and faster refresh rate. I'll check my model tonight and let you know what I bought. Obviously (as been it's been mentioned) the only downside of a 19+ CRT's is the massive deskspace the fucker requires.

IF you've got the deskspace - I'd recommend buying the 21 inch CRT. If not got with the 19 LCD. The 20 inch LCD run anywhere from $1150 and up.

BTW - I got quoted last week for a IBM 23 inch LCD for $8k!! Needless to say - I'm not buy that for anyone.