PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Online

Nurg
05-21-2004, 02:54 AM
The MMORPG where you can see actual 3D Nurglings running around. Yay!

Game looks bad fucking ass to.

Site: http://www.warhammeronline.com/

E3 Movie: http://www.warhammeronline.com/Screensavers/WarhammerOnline_E32004_ChaosMovie.zip

Corkorle
05-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Whether its fun to play or not remains to be seen :P

Valstorm
05-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Did anyone ever play Mordheim?

Nurg
05-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Did anyone ever play Mordheim?
Yeah.

Valstorm
05-22-2004, 06:00 PM
I really liked that one, mostly because all the terrain was large gothic cities. instead of crappy foam trees

Nurg
05-22-2004, 09:10 PM
I really liked that one, mostly because all the terrain was large gothic cities. instead of crappy foam trees
That and it was smaller number of units to, quicker games. Warhammer battles could take fucking hours, though they are fun to.

Nurg
05-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Whether its fun to play or not remains to be seen :P
I'm sure it will be, though I guess if your not a fan of Warhammer, or know much about its background, it might not be.

I hope the you'll be able to play as a Chaos character to. Chaos in Warhammer is what evil SHOULD be in EVERY fucking MMORPG. Its the ONLY TRUE evil I've seen in a game.

Corkorle
05-23-2004, 12:46 AM
I guess if your not a fan of Warhammer, or know much about its background, it might not be.

I fall under both those catagories, but you can't say that- look at Shadowbane - i liked the concept, but the game sucked.

Valstorm
05-23-2004, 01:13 PM
I used to play Tyranid in 40k more than anything, there's something cool about hordes of aliens that you just cant pull off with a squad of spacemarines.

Biral
06-21-2004, 04:29 PM
In other news, Warhammer MMO canceled.

Nurg
06-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah saw their website.

That sucks, the game looked really good to.

In Whitedwarf they talked about there being to many fantasy MMORPGs out, which there are. They droped several hints to a Warhammer 40K MMORPG.

Now that would be fucking bad ass.

Valstorm
06-21-2004, 06:58 PM
I cant really see warhammer ever being a MMORPG

When you think about the whole gamestyle of warhammer, its more suited to the RTS genre, the gaming was more about preparation, strategies and tactics than the actual combat.

There have been loads of previous Warhammer games released though. The majority of them didnt sell too well.

War Knight
06-21-2004, 07:41 PM
dun dun dun... another one bites the dust.

Nurg
05-28-2005, 04:16 AM
In other news, Warhammer MMO canceled.
Forgot about this...

It lives! http://www.warhammeronline.com/

Folks,

First, I want to thank everyone for their kind words regarding the announcement of our first Warhammer game. Everyone at Mythic is quite excited about the possibilities that this partnership with the fine folks at Games Workshop with bring about to both companies. Secondly, as to the game that we have begun work on, it will be a game that is focused on the RvR aspects of Warhammer. We will reveal more details over the coming months but for now, I think the best way to describe the game I have envisioned is the simple phrase "This time it's WAAAGH!" Third, I apologize in advance for what will be infrequent appearances here and other Warhammer-related sites. It's not that I don't love to chat (as the guys at GW can tell you, getting me to shut up is more of a problem), but I have a game design to work on after all.

To answer some brief questions that have popped up here and on other forums:

1) This is not a continuation of the Warhammer Online project. Mythic is working closely with GW to create a new vision for a Warhammer online game.

2) The development time-line for the game is a tad over 2 years but given our experience and existing code-base (Dark Age of Camelot, Imperator and others), we believe we can meet that schedule.

3) We want to pull in as much material from the Warhammer material as we can to make this a great game. I don't care where it comes from, if it's Warhammer (Fantasy Battles, RPG, Warmaster) and it also can be part of a great game, I want to try to fit it in this game. This game will not be DAoC2 with the name of Warhammer attached.

4) RvR does not equal PvP. DAoC is not a PvP game and neither will be this game. We want people to be able to roleplay and we also want them to be able to play the game without worrying about getting ganked from the moment they enter the game by someone more powerful than them.

5) The building and maintaining of community is quite important to Mythic whether it is in the game or out of it. The reason we don't host our own forums is that we either do it well (which means full-time admins, added costs) or we would rather not do it at all. We will consider setting up our own forums for this game but most likely, they will be private to keep the noise level down. Now, if we make them private, we will of course invite all the people who have been participating in forums like these to join us. We will also have ultra-private forums for beta-testers as we do for DAoC and Imperator.

6) As to the question of religion in Warhammer, we expect it will play a role. Religion doesn't in Imperator because Imperator is meant to be a pure sci-fi game. We'd be foolish to do the same here.

7) As a friend of mine at GW says in describing what we want to do with this game, Warhammer will not be happy-clappy land, we'll leave dancing orcs, prancing elves to other guys.

8) I have a long-standing relationship with a number of the people at GW, and I hold them, and the IP, in the highest regard. Nothing that we are doing is in any way a sign of disrespect for what has gone before. It's a new day, a new vision but the old world.

Best,

Mark Jacobs
President/CEO
Mythic Entertainment

P.S. It's going to be a lot of fun...

Nurg
04-06-2006, 02:30 AM
GameSpy preview (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-online/700105p1.html) of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. Sounds like Mythic is doing a good job, and keeping in theme with the Warhammer world. Been playing Warhammer for over ten years, will definitely be playing this one on the side of Chaos, Nurgle aligned of coarse!

Also the actual Warhammer Online (http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php) site has been updated as well.

Titokhan
04-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Mythic's Realm Vs Realm PvP system really is a perfect fit for warhammer based on my understanding of the warhammer universe. Should be interesting once they get toward public betas..

I have very little exposure to warhammer outside of demos for the pc games, but i am definately intrigued

Squrf
04-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Mythic is utterly incompetent at class balancing, so don't get your hopes up too high.

Chubbs
04-06-2006, 10:23 AM
What Squrf said. Since the exodus of most of us from WoW, i reactivated my DAoC account, and it is in shambles for two of the three realms. The game's RvR is a joke now.

Those of your who don't know the RvR system, suffice it to say the point is to own all of the castles in your territory, and as many of the other teams castles too. if you posses the right ones in another realms territory you can open up their Relic Gates and have an opportunity to steal their Relics, which give your realm bonuses to magic or melee damage, depending on which one you capture.

Anyway, across all server clusters, 1 realm owns about 70-75% of all the relics. Mythic is incapable of maintaining balance after 1 or 2 expansions. And they refuse to correct their mistakes with class nerfs. They try to "buff" up the other realms, but 9 times out of 10 what they give to the other realms, they end up giving to Hibernia as well.

Most of my DAoC guild that still plays says they aren't going to play Warhammer, and that after they are done with DAoC, they arent going to play mythic games anymore. Pretty fucking sad for people who have played and payed for 4 years.

Pizdets
04-06-2006, 10:42 AM
edit: replied too late. move along. nothing to see here.

Nurg
04-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Games Workshop is very strict when it comes to their franchise, such as Warhammer, or Warhammer 40K. So as far as Mythic fucking this game up, I doubt very much that will happen. We'll see ...

Most of my DAoC guild that still plays says they aren't going to play Warhammer, and that after they are done with DAoC, they arent going to play mythic games anymore. Pretty fucking sad for people who have played and payed for 4 years.
That makes no sense. If the game is so bad, then why still play it?

Chubbs
04-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I have posed the same question to them... they as yet have had no reasonable answer either. Don't fucking ask me, i don't understand

Drsomewhere
04-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Rawr!

Nurg
04-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Guild vs Guild has done a really good write up on Warhammer Online, for those of you interested you can read it here (http://www.guildvsguild.com/nuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=438&mode=&order=0&thold=0). It's looking pretty damn good, I think Mythic has learned a lot from DAoC, and are on their way to making a pretty kick ass PvP game set in the Warhammer world.

Squrf
04-28-2006, 08:03 PM
That actually makes it look good. But really, Mythic's good at design. They just fail on execution. If RVR in DAOC lived up to its potential, then it wouldn't have hemorraged players - the Herald shows 11K players online at primetime on Friday. That's a third of what the game used to advertise two or three years ago.

All said and done though, it does look interesting enough to give it a shot...

Squrf
04-28-2006, 10:07 PM
The RVR system has always been good. That's never been DAOC's problem. It's the actual PVP that grew worse and worse. They had (have) drastic class and realm imbalances, and then making adjustments that tended to be overzealous, usually in response to the vocal minority.

Nurg
05-05-2006, 05:19 PM
The new Cinematic Trailer is out, they combined part one, and two. It's pretty damn sweet. Check it out. (http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/video/) I hope part three has some footage of Chaos in it.

Baddreams
05-05-2006, 07:45 PM
That reminds me of the WoW hype video. Interesting though.

Nurg
05-14-2006, 12:49 AM
E3 Stage Show (http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6151005&pid=520538) for Warhammer Online. Damn this game is going to be pretty fucking sweet.

Feyd
05-14-2006, 01:17 AM
Fall 2007 - a year and a half out at least. Phew, well I hope they get all their naked dwarf problems sorted out before then.

And the best quote in the whole thing is: "We want the war to never end! We want to be taking your money forever!"

Feyd
05-14-2006, 01:30 AM
Edit fucking double. On another note, you can download the widescreen CG trailer at the website.

Alaron
05-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Double Post

Alaron
05-14-2006, 10:06 PM
I thought that was a great quote too Feyd :P To me, it promises good things when a developer shows as much enthusiasm for a game as that guy did. It could just be that he's particularly good at PR, and it could be that the actual implementation won't turn out great, but the game definately looks like it could be pretty damn cool.

If you read their website, they said that they wanted to be starting some closed guild betas some time this summer. I'm sure Nurg will be keeping an eye on this, so given this quote, we might have a good shot if you're interested in sticking in an application when the time comes around.

Yes, I said guild beta. I'll be putting that together and taking applications late this summer. Guilds will be judged based on how active your members are in your current game or forum (NOT number of members), the length of time you've been together, your website, and more. We'll want a mix of guild types, of course, so my best advice for potential guilds is to be who you are with as much style as possible.

Titokhan
05-15-2006, 06:17 PM
given that these boards are generally very active.. and we are as a whole a group of near hardcore to full-on hardcore gamers..

If an application for W:O guild beta goes in for KAAOS.. our activity and overall gaming knowledge should put us in very good standing.

Valstorm
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Our?

Titokhan
05-16-2006, 06:54 AM
ok perhaps i should've reworded it.. but with how long i've been around here.. i guess it just slipped out..

Nurg
05-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Some more E3 footage. (http://www.warhammeralliance.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=6&userid=)

Nurg
08-20-2006, 04:05 AM
The full length movie (http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/video/easterEggs/WAR_Promo_081606.html) is out now, they added Chaos, and Empire to it. Pretty cool ending, Chaos is just bad ass.

Valstorm
08-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Can you imagine those Orks doing the hammertime dance? No way.
Warhammer will own.

Toro
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
The full length movie (http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/video/easterEggs/WAR_Promo_081606.html) is out now, they added Chaos, and Empire to it. Pretty cool ending, Chaos is just bad ass.

Looks fucking awesome.

Valstorm
08-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Looks fucking awesome.

The video or the game?

Toro
08-20-2006, 03:53 PM
The video or the game?

Both ;p

Feyd
08-23-2006, 02:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3WjAm3dzaI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYSBR9iigo

The first one is a long walkthrough from E3 that shows alot of the basic game mechanics, the second is some rudamentary PvP in the early stages and shows a little bit of the combat system. Probably the longest videos of the actual game that've been released so far.

Valstorm
08-23-2006, 02:54 AM
There's a displeasing lack of blood and gore in those videos, that's the first thing I've noticed, where are the people being ripped apart? You hear the name Warhammer online and you think "Oh great, it's going to be an MMO with some real gritty experiences, this one's not for the pre-school kids", I hope this doesnt take Warhammer and turn it into a carbon copy of WoW. The RvR sounds cool though, you can gain experience/level up by attacking the enemy races.

Squrf
08-23-2006, 06:36 AM
The RvR sounds cool though, you can gain experience/level up by attacking the enemy races.

Theoretically, you can do that in DAOC as well. But unless they drastically increase the rate of XP from a player kill, you're better off simply PVEing.

Caedis
11-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Slashdot interview: http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/11/27/1752236.shtml
As a quick final note, seeing the words "diplomacy" and "Warhammer" in the same sentence brought a smile to my face. If, by "diplomacy," you mean the pillaging, desecration and slaughter of your hated foes, their homes and their belongings, then yes, it's a VERY diplomatic game. If you meant it in any other way, then no, diplomacy isn't really part of the equation. ROFL

Nurg
02-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Here (http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?setview=features&loadFeature=1125&gameID=239&bhcp=1) is a good article on Warhammer Online, some good stuff leaked out there, such as mount combat!