PDA

View Full Version : City of Hereos - PvP coming...?

Raidan
05-17-2004, 09:01 AM
I got CoH from my brother for my birthday so I'm playing it for the month or so. It's very good but I think the big turn off was no PvP. Now it looks like they are going to take care of that with an expansion pack.

http://www.cityofheroes.com/cov/cityofvillains.htm

Yep, City of Villians. Anyone else playing CoH right now? The whole super villians group/headquarters raid things sounds like something KAAOS may want to check out.

Dreslin
05-17-2004, 04:30 PM
yeah coh not having pvp or villans was the only reason i opted not to buy the game and stick with planetside

Faust
05-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Unfortunatly for me, there's already a Faust comic book.

http://users.ev1.net/~whitskee/Fcomics/faust10.jpg

I think PvP in CoH would be pretty cool though. From what I hear you can make your character quite specialized (personalised). It would be pretty cool to see all the KAAOS pantheon in each one's creation.

(would be the shit out of everyone being a Claric/MagicUser at any rate)

Ericcorp
05-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Ha. What a fucking joke. The game came out, what, two weeks ago? And now they're charging more for an expansion that they must have already had done? They should have just delayed the game a month an included it. At any rate, it's just a monster grinding exp treadmill game, but instead of being elves, you're guys in tights. Wait....is there a difference?

EvilPot
05-18-2004, 08:19 AM
There is a difference... coh is actually a fun game. Whodathunkit

Oh and I don't think coh villians is gonna be out till like next year so its not like a month project.

Hedron
05-18-2004, 08:44 AM
The trick is not to tell whether a new game is fun, but to tell how LONG it will be fun. Every game is fun when you start (well every decent game). It's the longetivity that's in question.

Hed

EvilPot
05-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Oh I didn't say it didn't have longetivity issues just stating its fun now right out of the box even at higher levels... not something I can say about most mmos I've tried. I mostly have it as a change of pace to planetside until WoW comes out, or till beta at least.

War Knight
05-18-2004, 07:56 PM
CoH has already burned me out. Only so many Hellions and Skulls you can kill in Perez Park before it's just down right boring.

CoV holds promise still but the way that skills are already so over the top, it will be interesting to see how they balance them vs. other players.

Ericcorp
05-18-2004, 08:20 PM
I just don't see the point in those kinds of games, without PvP. You basically stand there and roll attacks, and the game decides if they hit or not. The PvP adds some strategy, but it's still too static.

I haven't played CoH, so I may be wrong. Is the combat real time? I don't mean real time like DAoC, but real-real time. Im' just curious.

malhavok
05-19-2004, 11:00 AM
There's lots more to do than kill skulls and hellions, you just have to stick with it. It's pretty much just like any other online RPG...kill stuff, level, fight bosses. If you still want to play online RPG's, that's going to be what they all force you to do...the question becomes, do you enjoy it when you do it. Once into the high teens-20's, there are super villain groups to take out, super villain bosses, much more complex missions, etc.

One intersting thing about the combat is, it's *almost* turn based. If you get the rythym down of the attacks, you can use some strategy in fighting. The pauses between the mobs using powers are fairly set, and if you are say a controller type player, you can keep a mob totally out of action for the entire fight. If you don't time it right, the mob gets a free attack, ae, shot, whatever. Some sk1illz are involved.

The level grind isn't too bad, every other level you get a new power, and flying and super jump kick ass. I wouldn't totally write it off yet...the PVP is coming, and it will be nice to have a character or two built up to join in the action.

Nurg
05-19-2004, 12:02 PM
A friend of mine picked it up, then decided he didn't want it, and sold it to me for $25 bucks.

Figured I'd try it, and play the free month.

The game is actually pretty fucking good, a lot better than what I thought it would be.

As Mal said, combat is ALMOST turned based. Its not like EQ where you just hit "A" and watch your character attack. You gota have very good timing with your powers.

You can CTRL-click one power to auto-use, but the rest you have to control yourself.

Character building is fucking awesome, there are TONS of ways to design the look of your character, I don't think I've seen two players that look alike at all yet. Your character doesn't have to look like some fag in tights.

The "duo" feature is pretty cool as well, I'm guessing its a way to power level people, not sure I only did it once last night. A level 12 player invited me to be his sidekick, I'm only level 7. When I accepted it said "You are now fighting as level 11" and I was getting PHAT exp.

I haven't done any large grouping yet, but I hear its pretty fun going up against the super bosses and shit.

I don't think there is any character naming rules, which is funny. Cause I have seen some names like Nurse Vagina, RoboHitler, and Captain Vibrator.

Anyhow, for now I am on Pinnacle. My main character is a Mutant Blaster named Insane Nurgling, since Nurgling was taken. Looks like a small green demon running around with an Assassult Rifle. Then I've gota alt Mutant Tanker which I haven't really played yet.

Raidan
05-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Character building is fucking awesome, there are TONS of ways to design the look of your character, I don't think I've seen two players that look alike at all yet. Your character doesn't have to look like some fag in tights.

So fuckin true - Just for shits, I made a blaster the other night that looks exactly like Guile from that old arcade game Street Fight II. Total badass except my Guile isn't punching/kicking - he's packing a goddamn assault rifle :twisted:

Nurgling, maybe I'll group up with you tonight. Use the CoH TS server. I'll send you a tell. I'll either run DarkSword (scrapper/katana) or Unleasher - Tanker (invaun/Fire)

Nurg
05-19-2004, 04:33 PM

So fuckin true - Just for shits, I made a blaster the other night that looks exactly like Guile from that old arcade game Street Fight II. Total badass except my Guile isn't punching/kicking - he's packing a goddamn assault rifle :twisted:

Nurgling, maybe I'll group up with you tonight. Use the CoH TS server. I'll send you a tell. I'll either run DarkSword (scrapper/katana) or Unleasher - Tanker (invaun/Fire)
Tried to connect to CoH TS server, and it was down yesterday. Maybe it'll be up tonight.

I won't be on until about 9pm CST. I'll look for you then.

Raidan
05-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Nurg, check the CoS boards, I think their main TS is down, I think they've got a backup running.

Hicks64
05-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Sweet some of you guys are playing CoH as well. I find it suprisingly good so far, considering there's no PvP. IMO CoH is like Vice City, but way bigger and you have superpowers. I'm on the Virtue server, so... which server(s) are you guys in?

Tyo
05-20-2004, 01:24 AM
Fuck CoS TS. KAAOS has it's own TS server, which, if you posess half a spine and a quarter ounce of wit, you should be on.

Nurg
05-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Fuck CoS TS. KAAOS has it's own TS server, which, if you posess half a spine and a quarter ounce of wit, you should be on.

The TS server which Raiden was talking about is a CoFR/CGA/HEXE/NGA server. Four gaming groups/clans/guilds what ever you want to call them, that have banned together in CoH.

He was refering to an invitation sent out to other gamers, and Clans/Guilds that wanted to use the server.

Doesn't really matter anyhow.