PDA

View Full Version : Your god was almost PK'd IRL ;p

Azmodion
02-01-2004, 02:51 PM
So I washed my car this weekend and decided to take it on the freeway to dry it off (and have a little fun in the process ;p). I get to a remote on-ramp and come to a dead stop. It's a straight on-ramp and the freeway is straight for a while as well so I figure quarter mile time wheeeeeeeeeee! I stab the throttle a couple times, slam it to the floor and drop the clutch. So here I am going sideways up the ramp, 1st gear lasts all of about 1 seconds. I slam it into second gear 2nd gear and now I'm going sideways up the ramp but facing the other direction ;p Second gear doesn't last much longer than 1st and I throw it into 3rd gear and I'm still going sideways but this time I'm facing the direction I was facing when i was in 1st gear ;p 3rd gear lasts about 2.5 to 3 seconds or so and I drop it into 4th gear. I've straightened out but I've still got it floored and was smoking the tires for around another 100 to 150 feet though when all of a sudden BOOM...

Mother fucker, I sucked up a valve. When the fuck am I gonna learn to stop revving my god damn engine 7500+ RPMs ;x I coast it to off the freeway and turn it off. I had plenty of time to swear at my luck while waiting for a cock sucking tow truck. The tow truck arrives, we have the car about halfway on the carrier, and the tow truck driver says "holy shit man, good thing you fucked up your engine" and he points to my back tire. All the lug nuts are off save for one (which when tested proved to be only holding on hand tight) and the lug bolts on the ones that did come off were sheared off (except for one bolt that was wedging the wheel on valiantly ;p).

In any case, I changed my tune about my luck rather quickly. It may not sound like much but this is one of those things that made me go WTF? How, who, where, why? Some things you simply can't explain.

Rann
02-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Sounds like another "argh I hurt my Spleenis (read:wallet)" adventure

Need a new picture on the website of your blown up ride? :PP

Rann
02-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Pictures of azmos beast:
http://www.kaaos.com/Azmodion/transam.htm

Azmodion
02-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Well, we will see just how much this is gonna end up costing me. At this point, I don't really care because whatever it is it's a hell of a lot cheaper than what it would have cost me had I lost that wheel ;p

I won't know what kind of damage was done until I tear the engine down. I could get lucky and just need to replace the valve. On the other end, that broken valve bouncing around in the chamber could chew up a piston, crack the block (which is what happened last time I sucked a valve) or worse, crack the heads.

A broken piston is no big deal. A cracked block may be a problem since it's already bored 60 over and, depending on what chamber it is, I may not have enough room to bore it any more for a sleeve. If one of my heads are cracked I'm pretty much fucked. Those heads are where most of the cash is in that engine.

Kiaus
02-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Did someone lossen your nuts? Or are they in the habit of just shooting off when you spin your wheels?

Blayloc
02-01-2004, 05:36 PM
For The Record..

I was no where near Azmo's house this weekend and I do not own a Crowbar.

Just for the record.

Azmodion
02-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Did someone lossen your nuts? Or are they in the habit of just shooting off when you spin your wheels?

It's never happened before if that's what you mean. Also, interestingly, I am worth more to my wife dead than alive... Things that make you go hmm ;p

Zerackus
02-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Damn Azzmo, the looked at the pics, and the project you did on it was awesome work. How long did it take you? I also was admiring the fact that no car project is complete with out a bass kicking system installed.

Azmodion
02-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Well, I suppose it took me about 20 years to build this car ;p From the time Iíve wanted one, to the time I built the engine, to the time I actually found one for sale to the time I could afford to rebuild it ;p

Heh, actually from the time I actually started to work on the car to the time of the finished pictures on that site Rann listed was a little over a year. I didnít do much of the work myself.

I bought the car in Green Bay for about $3,500 (yes, in itsí fucked up condition) and had it shipped to California. There arenít many 1970 Trans Amís with a manual transmission around today. Basically I just wanted the Vin Number.

I previously had the engine built about 15 years ago for about 10 grand. Itís a 1971 Pontiac cast 455 that I had bored 60 over (so itís around 470 cubic inches now) with a 510-lift roller cam, solid lifters, titanium connecting rods, etc etc. I wanted to get the 1971 HO heads but those are hard to come by so I went with 1976 SD heads that I had ported (over 19 hours of port work involved). I had Sanderson Headers engineer an exhaust system that included an inch and a half flange on the headers and short stack collectors (for both ground clearance and low end torque). I used to run an 830 annular discharge carburetor but I couldnít dial it in for street use so it wasnít very drivable (thatís when I learned to always have fire extinguishers on hand as I had a few fires break out while making adjustments ;p). I eventually just went with a 750 double pumper. The intake manifold, heads, and headers were all ported to match perfectly so there is like no flow restriction. The engine puts out about 510 HP and around 750 foot pounds of torque. Itís no dragster but itís pretty sweet for street use.

I also built a really nice aluminum cased Super T-10 transmission for around $2500 but my engine decided it would make a good lunch and ate up the gears. Iím now running a piece of shit M-21 that I got for $350. I figured, if I keep chewing up trannies I may as well buy some cheap fuckers ;p I may get around to building another one some time though.

I also built a sweet rear end for a couple grand that I was stupid enough to sell just before I bought the 1970 TA. Iím currently running the stock 3.73 12-bolt posi the car came with. Itís working out ok but I will eventually need to build another rear end.

All that shit was done about 15 years ago and I had it in a 1976 Trans Am for a while. I lost all my smog contacts though and the car sat for 10 years.

After I bought the 1970 I found some guy who did most of the restoration work for me. I did the mechanical shit (replaced the fucked up stock engine with my engine, changed the transmission and driveshaft out, etc.) and then gave the car to him. I donít know shit about bodywork and interior work so I figured it would just be mickey mouse if I did it myself. It cost me around 25k for the restoration and I found that mickey mouse reared his ugly head a few times unfortunately. All in all though, he did a pretty decent job.

Iím still not done, thereís a lot of little things I need to do still but the majority of the work is finished, it runs and looks goodÖ Well after I fix the current fuck up that is ;p

Azmodion
02-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Ah, car update. The engine is not bad off, I just need to replace a valve and a piston. The lug nuts did not spin off. I had 4 lug nuts on and 1 off (I had to break my lock nuts off because I lost the key and I was too lazy to replace the nut ;p). 3 of the 4 bolts that had a lug nut on them sheared off (with the bolts on them) from the torque. Iíve come to learn that this isnít all too uncommon and that I should have changed the stock lug bolts with something a little stronger when I put that engine in.

Itís gonna take me a couple weeks and about $500 in parts to fix. So color me lucky, where do I go to buy a lottery ticket? ;p

Faust
02-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Nice Car, Azmo. I had a buddy in high school with a 70 Trans Am same color. I had a 67 Chevelle early and 68 Charger going into college.

Not that any of our cars were actually fixed up or anything. Some of the other kids had nice refirb cars... I never actually made the effort ($).

Azmodion
02-03-2004, 11:27 PM
-laugh- yea well it's a little tough to make the effort ($) in high school. That's why I had to wait almost 20 years later myself ;p

Woulda been sweet to have a '70 TA in High School though. Would be even sweeter if your buddy kept it, it would be worth a few bucks ;>

Zerackus
02-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Sure is nice when all you see on the road is Jap 4s, with fat mufflers, nitro stickers, and kids wearing gloves wanting to street race you. I bet you have blown a few doors off that way.

Faust
02-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Woulda been sweet to have a '70 TA in High School though. Would be even sweeter if your buddy kept it, it would be worth a few bucks ;>

Yeah, he blew the engine driving us home from college (in Reno) for Easter break our freshman year. I think he had to let it go for little to nothing. My charger sat in the back of our Fraternity house for 4 years before I had to sell it. I got a piddly $1800 for it.

I don't know if you are familiar with "Hot August Nights" in Reno. It's mostly about 50's era cars, but the city fills up with tens of thousands of refirbished cars and hot rods. Probably 20% are pure muscle cars and street rods. It's a bit of a trip to sit in front of our old college bar and watch an endless stream of cars to drool over.

XENONIX
02-04-2004, 01:32 PM
7500 RPM? valve float? Would stiffer valve springs help prevent this from happening again? I actually had a plastic revel model car i built/painted exactly the way your car is.. crazy..

zerackus: yeah it's sad.. that some of these people actually think their honda civic with a k&n, and coffee-can tipped exhaust and racer stickers can compete with a large displacement V8 in a straight line..

However, i've "blown the doors off" a whole grid of C5 corvette's, and LS1 F-bodies in my 2.7L Audi and my 2.0L 4-banger Subaru WRX... on a 1.8 Mile road course with lots o' twisties.. .. but not on a drag strip ;>

-xenonix-

Azmodion
02-04-2004, 01:52 PM
[quote]I don't know if you are familiar with "Hot August Nights" in Reno.

Hot August Nughts kicks ass, haven't been in a while though.

Azmodion
02-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Sure is nice when all you see on the road is Jap 4s, with fat mufflers, nitro stickers, and kids wearing gloves wanting to street race you. I bet you have blown a few doors off that way.

This one fuck cracked me up, he said "damn, your car is loud and it doesn't even have a tip on it". You really need to hear the car to appreciate it, the pictures only tell about ľ of the story ;p

Actually, some of these newer 4 banger turbos are pretty fucking fast, especially when they are done up right and are equipped with nitrus. But those cars have a hell of a lot more than 10 grand in the engine.

Azmodion
02-04-2004, 02:18 PM
7500 RPM? valve float? Would stiffer valve springs help prevent this from happening again?

The springs arenít the problem, sometimes shit happens when you peg the tac 2 grand past red-line (and when itís pegged, who knows how high it really revved ;p). It takes all of about a second to go from 0 RPMs to a pegged tac if Iím spinning the wheels. Iíve just gotta stop being a dumbass and pay attention ;p

Tezbiros
02-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Here is a crutch for you old man.

http://www.omextechnology.co.uk/page4.html

Youíre going to end up scraping that engine before you stop being a dumb ass. lol

Player

Azmodion
02-04-2004, 06:51 PM
I don't need no stinking crutch!

And it wouldn't be the first engine ;p

SUPERNOVA
02-05-2004, 06:03 PM
NO JUST SOUND LIKE YOU NEED A "B" MOD MACK TRUCK
YOU MIGHT NOT BLOW THAT UP BUT IT DO HAVE MORE LUGS

http://www.vannattabros.com/pics/mackb.jpg

OR NOT :shock:

THIS ONE IS A 1953 H-61 Mack
http://www.bradwikestrucks.com/sitebuilder/images/15-268x185.jpg

BUT WOULD DO YOU JUST FINE
YOU COULD "RIP THE DOORS OFF ANY THING WITH THAT"

Ivan
03-14-2004, 07:46 PM
With any luck next time the valve will blow through the wall and impale itself in your fucking cranium, jew.

I didn't know you were into cars, fag ;p

I need to get some time and take some pictures of my '69 Fairlane Cobra as life would have it tho I'm too busy planting my seed in Rann's children.

Almost pk'd...not unless you've had the pleasure of going 75 down the highway, hit a pothole the size of Kal's gaping ass, and broke the ball joint completely off the control arm sending the rim into the wheel well, when the tire disintegrates, instantly demolishing the entire left side of the car and sending you into a whirlwind through highway traffic. Now thats a fucking ride; surpassed only by watching my load leak from Tyo's ass into Hed's mouth.

Brought to you by your one and only god ;p

Ivan

Sup Jews? ;p

I'll see if I can get some pictures taken this week...Nice Ride, Bro.