PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my own Website/Domain

Valstorm
03-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Does anyone know how I can setup my own web domain without paying, using my PC as a server? or any links to tutorial websites?

Newbold
03-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Do you have a seperate PC from the one you game on to set up as a server? Web servers use resources and bandwidth, you will need a seperate computer. Another problem you run into by hosting your own site are the bandwith limitation placed on you by your ISP. I assume you have cable or DSL, they will charge you more per month to move up to a business tier.

Sound fun so far? You will probably want to stick with windows if you know it, so 2000 server would probably be the most affordable. IIS is ok, but if you want to to it right use Apache, http://www.apache.org/ You CAN do it with windows XP, but it just wont be as stable if you ask me.

OK so now you have the server all set up. What you need now is your domain. This will again cost you money. What you would have to do is forward that domain to your IP address, and then make sure your router points it to your webserver. The domain will cost some cash too.

All of this is a pain in the ass. Just have someone else host it. You will save yourself headaches. Just make sure the company thats hosts it has what you need... IE If you plan on using front page they need to have front page extensions enabled. Another alternative is to use the space your ISP provides you with. Its a gay url i know, but its free. I dont know if you are using it for business or pleasure.

I dunno, lot of shit to think of.

Sul Morthos
03-16-2004, 12:11 AM
And Val, do you really need your own domain, or would your ISP-provided webspace do the trick?

Good way to tell if you WANT to spend the money is to set up something there first...expand it to a domain and hosting plan next....and go dedicated after.

Xenomorph
03-16-2004, 10:00 AM
Here is the company I use, got mine during the opening sale and got free hosting for 3 yrs.

1and1 (http://order.1and1.com/xml/order;jsessionid=C0009096CDEBFB2B692A6271ED09A318. TC63a)

Valstorm
03-16-2004, 11:12 AM
I've used geocities in the past, but they only allow 15mb storage, and the bandwidth is extremely limited, I just wanted to know if there was a way to do it all my myself.

I really dont understand domain names anyway, why do I have to pay for a web address just because somebody else has said I cant use it. I thought the internet was just loads of people's computers hooked up to each other.

Maybe I need to do some more research I dunno.

Hedron
03-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Someone somwhere maintains a giant directory of web addresses, and what IP address they relate to.

Somebody has to pay for that. And some central authority has to make sure that there aren't "directories" out there that point people to conflicting spots for the same name. That takes administrative time, and computer systems.

Hed

MACanon
03-27-2004, 11:10 PM
If you have Windows XP professional (and I suppose Windows 2000 Pro as well) you can use IIS to host a web server if you wish.

To get that setup just go into the ADD/Remove Programs and add the IIS services and then put your files in your InetPub/WWWroot directory and you''ll be up and running.

To cover the free domain name check out www.no-ip.com where you can get a free redirect, it works quite well. If you have a dynamic IP (one that changes) then you can also download a little piece of software that will run on startup and automatically update your IP on their DNS servers so that people always have access to your webserver without any intervention from you.

I hope this has helped a bit. Be sure to do all windows updates etc.

Tezbiros
03-28-2004, 08:56 AM
DO NOT USE IIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE DOING.

You will be owned. Maybe even by me. Mwhahahaha.

Player

MACanon
03-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Yea, it's not the most secure web server software although it is easy to get it running.

Blayloc
03-28-2004, 10:40 AM
www.kaaosgaming.net

;)