PDA

View Full Version : Realms of Torment

Shinjii
03-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Hey KAAOS, long time no see.

Have you guys heard of Realms of Torment yet? http://www.realmsoftorment.net

The game's supposed to be released this year, but there hasn't been much hype about it and it's not even listed on ebworld.com.

"Constructed as a full PvP-based title, it will provide flexible combat and magic systems as well as a impressive arsenal of weapons, armours and magic items."

The world will be full pvp, and it looks really in depth as far as crafting/combat/etc... Dev's on the forum mentioned that knowledge = power, and pvp will be based on skill more than items like UO (i never played it so i can't say i know how it worked). They also have aging, a bloodline system and permadeath.

Just throwing it out there for you guys. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Azmodion
03-12-2004, 04:34 PM
I've read up a bit on it a while ago. It seems to be another "almost game". It seems to be the new thing that developers are doing "our game is designed for PvP" but they still don't seem to understand PvP and the design principles that are involved, let alone balance issues.

Anyway, maybe it will be fun for a couple weeks ;p

Mortarion
03-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Not KAAOS here, but came to similar conclusions that Azmodion did. It's on my to-watch list, but it's also on my doubtful list. If I remember right, the thing that turned me off the game was that while they claimed to be a PvP game, the website had almost no information on combat at all. It also appeared that they hadn't even started to balance/test combat even though they had built a decent sized world.

Hey Azmo, is this what prompted you to write your top-down article?

Ritual
03-12-2004, 06:13 PM
was in the beta few months back and it sucked hard. only mmorpgs to look out for over the next year are dragon empires, wow, and darkfall.

although there are also some good fps games coming too. the way it seems to be is that the entire guild plays mmorpgs and then splits down the middle with some playing fps and others playing rts. and then of course you have those that play all of the above. 8)

Azmodion
03-12-2004, 08:28 PM
I don't remember if this particular game was what prompted me to write that article but yes that's basically what the article is about. People are designing "PvP" games yet the combat system isn't even spelled out while the majority of the game is entering it's "polishing" phase. They don't spell it out because they haven't even thought about it themselves typically.

Yes I know it's not to those extremes it's just that I find it amazing that people who are developing a "PvP" game put so much thought, effort, and resources into the overall "world" and the plethora of features they are going to offer and yet their PvP combat system isn't even close to being finished, usually it's not even really touched until everything else is done.

The world, the features, the game itself should be fleshed out around a PvP combat system. All creatures, gear, features, economy, "world building" and whatever other bullshit they want to come up with should be designed around end game PvP combat.

I still think someone should build a "combat code" and sell it out to people building games much like the FPS fucks did with 3D graphic engines.

Sul Morthos
03-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Was also in beta...ROT absolutely sucked in its current (beta) format.

It would take a massive overhaul to fix that game.