PDA

View Full Version : opinions on comcast cable internet..

XENONIX
03-01-2004, 10:44 AM
I would like to hear any of your opinions on comcast.. if you have/had their cable internet before.

* If you play planetside- did/do you get lots of "connection problem" errors?
* How reliable was the service? Lots of downtime?
* I know with cable, an "area" shares the 3.0MB bandwidth.. does it start to suck during prime time internet usage hours?

I have Verizon DSL right now.. and it blows large chunks. (1.5M/128k) I get 'connection problems' all the time.. and as of late it's just stopped working during prime-time game play. It takes 45 minutes for a noobie help-desk fuck-o to pickup the goddamn tech-support phone and regergitate a bunch of pre-written "have you unplugged your modem and restarted your computer" horse shit on me and then telling me everything is fine. I'm sick of it..

I used to have Comcast cable internet .. years ago.. It was called TCI back then.. and the company has been sold like 300 times to date. I don't know how reliable it is under the current ownership.

-XENONIX-

Rann
03-01-2004, 02:50 PM
I had it for some time, just switched to knology cuz the packages are cheaper, but comcast is pretty solid now.

Xenomorph
03-01-2004, 04:15 PM
I have it and have had no downtime at all in the past year of service at my new place. I also have it routed to share out my connection between my comp, g-freinds comp, and my xbox. Pretty solid in my area, just hate the fact its the only bill I have that I can't pay online, wtf.

Newbold
03-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Had it for about 3 (maybe more?) years now. It wasnt what I would call stellar when I first got it, but these days I have what I would call no downtime. Plus, I don't know if this is just my area, they just doubled everyones bandwidth. My readout on bandwidth test sites is about 2.6-3 Mb/s prime time and around 3.5 and sometimes over on off hours. Pretty good if you ask me. I have been very happy of late. I also have a 5 computer network sharing the connection, 3 of which are active most of the time.

XENONIX
03-01-2004, 06:41 PM
cool.. (although no online payment blows.. but I"m sure I can rig my bank site to do it)

Comcast is installing my cable modem on wednesday.

If it sucks.. well.. I'll cancel.

Raidan
03-02-2004, 01:01 PM
I have a Comcast setup similar to Xeno. 08211.G wireless router to my PC and wife's PC. Xbox Live setup on wire downstairs. Overall, they are pretty good. Almost no downtime, plus I save about $15 a month because I use Comcast Digital phone and Comcast HiDef cable.

Raidan

Biral
03-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Newbold can you link one of those bandwidth sites? be interested to see mine.

I have comcast cable as well, and we save money for having TV and cable hooked up. Its kinda screwy though, sometimes my TV will be on and cable will go out for like 5-10 minutes. Although i've never had my cable go out during primetime, a few times during off hours though.