PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Tribes Vengeance beta?

Eagle923
09-09-2004, 01:54 PM
I wrote some quick comments on T:V for those who've tried the T:V beta, or are thinking about it (you need to have played T1/T2 to understand my comparisons to some things). Plus I'd like to play with some of you guys if you're going to be playing T:V any...
-------------------------------------------------------------

So far I'm enjoying the game. Not from a T2 perspective, but from just enjoying the game. It definitely takes more skill and is a lot different than UT style games or many other FPSs. The aspect of teamplay seems diminished though from T1/T2.

Some of my problems (some which have been stated on numerous forums already):

1) Why wait for 2 gunners in the bomber when you can fly it by yourself, switch to the gunners to take fighter pods/cappers down and then switch back real fast and not miss anything? In Tribes, you always had to get OUT of your seat and physically get into another seat...

2) Where the hell are my weapons when I'm a juggy? 3 weapons SUCKS when the mortar/spinfusor are required. That leaves me with 1 extra gun and low mobility of a FATTY. Why not just go MEDIUM with a SHIELD, BURNER, NADES and rape the hell out of everything. It's just as effective and I can move a whole lot faster.

3) Repairing is gay. There isn't much of a reason to rape a base, it's too easy to repair.

4) ARGH to the voice commands. So far I've already downloaded a new HUD, voice binds and Inventory FAVS.

With the addition of things from #4, I'm really enjoying the game though. Graphics are kick ass and the game is really smooth for a beta.

So far:

7/10 rating as far as rating it for "fun factor" and overall gameplay

4/10 rating if trying to say it's a Tribes 1/2 sequel

Will I buy it? HELL YES, I haven't stopped playing it in 3 weeks! I'm positive that "classic/V2" mods will arrive and bring back the T2 feel while keeping the fluidity/stability of the new engine.

Ericcorp
09-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Is there any reason to buy Tribes 3 when I can get Tribes 2 for free?

Biral
09-09-2004, 08:34 PM
only 3 weapons for juggernaut? damn that sucks. I loved loading up on 5 weapons with my juggernaut and raining death on a base. Also, in T2 it was too easy to rape a base imo, to the point that people didn't bother repairing. I'd rather have the bases too hard to rape then too easy.

Eagle923
09-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Yeah Biral, they need a happy medium to base rape. Although, I think once the game goes live and better maps/harder bases are made... the raping will be tougher than T2. That isn't such a huge deal as the community will make great maps.

Ericcorp... T2 is a fantastic game, especially free. It's just getting old, losing community support and has the infamous UE crash that happens quite often. But IMO, no game has held a candle to T1/T2 (both of which I've played religiously since their inception).

T:V on the other hand has an already booming community, renewed support and a very stable (UT series) game engine that doesn't have the crash/stability problems that the old T1/T2 engine had.

Ericcorp
09-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Is the TV beta still open? I know the game comes out in a month or so. I'll probably either get into it or the new Starwars Battlefront game. I have several months until BF2 comes out, so I need something to fill in the time (besides PS of course)

Eagle923
09-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Yep, you can download it at fileplanet (and it's mirrored other places by now probably).

Valstorm
09-11-2004, 03:42 PM
I remember watching the E3 movie, the ragdoll physics were fucking hilarious.