PDA

View Full Version : Rome: Total War

Nurg
08-22-2004, 03:46 AM
This game is bad ass, the demo is actually coming out BEFORE the game is released. Demo comes out tomarrow (Monday 23rd).

http://pc.ign.com/articles/540/540135p1.html?fromint=1

You can watch a preview of the game here: http://www.historychannel.com/decisivebattles/

The History Channel has been using the game for the Decisive Battles series. Pretty sweet!

Feyd
08-22-2004, 05:08 AM
300 Spartans vs 600,000 Persians

Spartan Deaths - 300
Persian Deaths - 60,000

ROFLMAO.

Btw...the History channel pwns.

Warpig
08-23-2004, 01:38 PM
The entire Total War series rocks.

One of the few games I'm looking forward to for this fall.

Pig

oaksilencer
08-23-2004, 05:10 PM
i never did play shogun, but i do have medieval. its a pretty cool game. the only thing i had a problem was, the bigger i got, the harder it was to keep my provinces under control. id have them loaded with troops, spies, priests, etc. but there was just no way in hell too keep tham faggots happy. oh well, got to kill a shitload of peasents that way.

Joker
08-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Played them all, can't wait for this one.

malhavok
08-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Awwww Joker...such a cute baby!

Would have definately molested you.

Kiaus
08-23-2004, 08:52 PM
That was his lunch.

Noodulz
08-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Yea I had Megieval Total War, that game is fun as hell. I love when you charge a bunch of peasants and break their moral and the noise they make when they're running scared. Sounds like .... "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" always cracks me up hearing that as they're being mowed down by armored cavalry. :twisted:

Nurg
08-24-2004, 10:17 AM
The demo is pretty fun, can't wait to pick up the full version.

Here is a patch someone made so that you can play the Romans, but their valour is set to ZERO so you get your ass kicked pretty easy.
http://www.gamershell.com/news/14865.html

oaksilencer
08-28-2004, 11:08 AM
i caught an episode of decisive battles on the history channel yesterday. its pretty sweet how they use the game to reinact the battles.

Joker
08-29-2004, 10:12 AM
After playing the demo, I've downgraded R:TW from "probably buy on release day" to "gonna wait and see some reviews." The graphics are very cool, but they have fucked with a lot of things and combat feels a lot faster and "RTS'ier" than the previous games.

They also, for some fucking reason, decided to change the controls all to hell and back. They didn't actually CHANGE any of the control functionality - they just changed the mouse- and keystrokes to do them. This is a major red flag to me. Any time companies start fucking with things in sequels that were never broken, you start to worry what else they changed just for the hell of it.

On the hopeful side, the game is supposed to be at least as MOD-able as M:TW was, so the fanbase can probably unfuck the problems in a couple months after release, but it isn't certain. Plus, we haven't seen the strategy level of the game yet, so we can always have blind hope that they didn't ruin it in their quest to pull in the RTS crowd.

We'll see. All I know is that my last straw with buying games unseen was MOO 3 (MOO 2 is still on my hard drive seven years later ;p). That steaming pile of shit ripoff broke my heart and my naive faith that "they just CAN'T mess up THIS franchise, can they?" forever. If they did manage to ruin Total War this go-round, at least we'll always have the first two. ;p

Nurg
08-29-2004, 02:12 PM
We'll see. All I know is that my last straw with buying games unseen was MOO 3 (MOO 2 is still on my hard drive seven years later ;p).
Yeah, MOO 3 was a total fucking waste. Waited several years for that game to come out to.

oaksilencer
08-29-2004, 09:16 PM
omg MOO 3 got you guys too huh? same here.......MOO2 kicked all forms of ass, and yes, its still on my computer too, years later. i bought MOO3 without reading the reviews too. i thought "man, MOO2 rocked. cant wait to see what they do with 3." whups......the anticipation of that game really hurt it too. ugh......

EvilPot
08-29-2004, 09:29 PM
Hell I still prefer the original MOO.

oaksilencer
08-30-2004, 03:36 PM
yeah the first one was good too. i think that 2 has everything that the first one missed. it was a very good improvement, unlike the third one. the deal was, microprose (the gods of PC gaming at the time) had the MOO series then sold out, which then that company sold out, then the next untill the project landed into Infogrames lap. that was the reason for the delay. and obviously, infogrames had no idea what the fuck they were doing.