PDA

View Full Version : Teach you children to make viruses!

Noodulz
08-09-2004, 09:27 AM
The Washington Times
www.washingtontimes.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

German teen blamed for most Net viruses
Published August 5, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(LONDON) DAILY TELEGRAPH
A teenager arrested in May was responsible for 70 percent of all Internet viruses received worldwide in the first half of this year, authorities said.
Sven Jaschan, 18, was still at school in Germany when he admitted writing and spreading the Sasser and Netsky "worms" and their variants, which caused widespread irritation and damage.
"It is simply staggering that a single German teenager can have had such a dramatic impact," said Graham Cluley, senior technical consultant at computer security company Sophos.
The Sasser worm caused huge disruptions to businesses and organizations in May, hitting, among others, British Airways, the British Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Taiwan's post office, government departments in Hong Kong and Australia's RailCorp train company.
The Sophos report also shows many more viruses are being created. The company detected 4,677 new types of viruses up to the end of June, up 21 percent from last year. Actual numbers of infections are not known because many remain unreported.
However, of all e-mails sent, about one in 11 contain viruses.
Police arrested Mr. Jaschan at his family home in Waffensen, Germany, on May 7 after being tipped off by persons motivated by Microsoft's $250,000 reward for information leading to conviction.
A court date has not been set. Mr. Jaschan faces up to five years in prison if convicted, but he could escape a custodial sentence because the viruses were written before his 18th birthday in April.
Mr. Jaschan told the German magazine Stern that he spread the viruses to gain his peers' respect and admiration. "I felt as if I had written a first-class essay. How Netsky spread, I think it's terrific, and my classmates thought I was terrific.
"Then it was reported on TV. That was cool. Only occasionally did I wake up in the middle of the night and think, yikes, there might be trouble."
He said he is hoping to turn from poacher to gamekeeper by seeking a job with a computer security company.

Copyright 2004 News World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.

Nice. He'll be making 6 figures by the time he's 20. Any bets?

EvilPot
08-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Not if I kill him first... fucking bastard.

malhavok
08-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Peter Norton owes that kid a lot of fucking money.

Noodulz
08-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Yea very true. I can see everytime there was a new virus Mr. Norton rubbing his hands together thinking "oh boy this one will scare the piss outta people and make them flock like sheep to buy my software". A lot of anti-virus producers have played on the fears of ignorant people for profit so when there's a real threat it's even better for them. *cha-ching*

http://www.vmyths.com/index.cfm

Hedron
08-13-2004, 08:28 AM
"Peter Norton owes that kid a lot of fucking money."

I don't think so. I hear he pays in advance for that stuff.