PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War

Nurg
08-05-2004, 07:36 PM
Dawn of War is currently OPEN Beta. Its an RTS game set in the Warhammer 40K world, pretty fucking bad ass to, lota fun.

Open Beta Sign Up: http://www.fileplanet.com/

If you want to see what the game actually looks like, check out the screenshots. http://www.relic.com/product/dawnofwar/screenshots.php

Nurg
08-06-2004, 05:19 AM
Ok this game isn't just fun, its FUCKING AWESOME!

Been playing Chaos, fucking bad ass! Watching Orks get blow into the air when they step on mine fields, Defilers riping Orks apart with their iron claws, blood and guts going everywhere, my Chaos Lord charging into a pack of Orks, and just cutting through them, and the Bloodthirster Greater Daemon, HOLY SHIT! That mother fucker is bad ass!

Cool as sayings to like "Skulls for the skull throne!" "Blood for the blood god!" "The weak attack back!".

Open Beta is on FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, get in there while you can!

Oh yeah, you can custom paint your army as well! :D

Xenomorph
08-06-2004, 10:08 AM
been playing it since closed beta, great game. even better now after the last patch which added 4 more online maps. let me know if your up for a game this weekend, I'll try to stop playing d3 long enough to get a few games in :twisted: screen name is xenomorph

Noodulz
08-06-2004, 10:46 AM
I gonna try this mofo.

Valstorm
08-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Wow.. looks like the real fucking thing.. cept better... and I dont have to spend hours painting the little fuckers

Tyo
08-06-2004, 08:40 PM
If you're playing, jump on TS.

Corkorle
08-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Pretty fun.

Rycar60
08-07-2004, 03:45 AM
Pretty cool, but where are the Necrons

Valstorm
08-07-2004, 04:27 AM
DOW is my new caffine.. this game kicks ass, watching Avatar shred through hordes of orks like they were made of... well flesh and bones I guess, fucking awesome, shame they left out the best race though.. TYRANIDS :twisted:

Nurg
08-07-2004, 02:00 PM
DOW is my new caffine.. this game kicks ass, watching Avatar shred through hordes of orks like they were made of... well flesh and bones I guess, fucking awesome, shame they left out the best race though.. TYRANIDS :twisted:
Yeah the Bloodthirster does the samething, bad ass.

I'm betting an expansion will add Tyranids, Necrons, and Tau.

Feyd
08-07-2004, 02:00 PM
We....Must....KILL!!!!!!!

Nurg
08-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Painted my Chaos army to look like Plague Marines to!

Time to spread the love of Uncle Nurgle.

Nurg
08-07-2004, 06:35 PM
You peeps that ARE playing, get on TS with us. Lets get some games going :D

I'll be on later tonight after 2am central time when I get home from work, will look for anyone in TS then.

Valstorm
08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Painted my Chaos army to look like Plague Marines to!

Time to spread the love of Uncle Nurgle.

I painted mine like my old Eldar used to look, except it only took me 2mins instead of 2 months.

Right now I'm trying to work out how custom banners work

Trickv2
08-07-2004, 07:57 PM
have you tried making your own banners/badges?

Hedron
08-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Game is fun, guys. It's not revolutionary or anything. Another RTS flavor with some interesting twists, but I'm having a good time with it.

Noodulz
08-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Aww man this sucks, game hangs a LOT and can barely play it. Upgraded all my drivers but it still hangs more and more the further i get. Got 2 computers playing it and i can sit there and look at both frozen screens waiting for something to happen :evil: :x

Anyone know what the prob might be other than my computers are teh junk? :cry:

Got a p4 2.8 GHz with a 64 mb ATI card and a 800MHz AMD with a 128 mb ATI card.... dunno what prob is

Corkorle
08-08-2004, 02:17 PM
p4 2.8 GHz with a 64 mb ATI card

err ur 64 mb ati card lol

Tyo
08-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Got plenty of free HD space? Freeing up space solved the problem for me. Also the tutorial for whatever reason seems to stutter as compared to multiplayer games.

Trickv2
08-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Got plenty of free HD space? Freeing up space solved the problem for me. Also the tutorial for whatever reason seems to stutter as compared to multiplayer games.

The tutorial stutter is a known bug, as for the game hanging up, only ever happens to me at the start of the match, altho i have had a few games where it just locks up entirely but lets you type

StrikerTek
08-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Got a p4 2.8 GHz with a 64 mb ATI card and a 800MHz AMD with a 128 mb ATI card.... dunno what prob is

If I were you, I'd switch the graphics cards. A p4 2.8ghz with a 128mb graphics card should run almost any game out there smoothly, unless the card's a 128mb radeon 9000 or something. If it's a really low-end 128mb card, it's time to buy a new card if you can.

Ezzenon
08-08-2004, 09:05 PM
I only played the tutorial for a while, but other than slight stutter (which I assume is due to the bug mentioned above) it ran fine on my shitty 1.5 ghz with a 64 mb geforce 2. The fun part was, prior to updating my drivers, the card couldnt render any of the text. I turned it on the first time and I couldnt see anything but huge black boxes where text should have been.

Nurg
08-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Avatar + Bloodthirster = PURE CARNAGE!

And some of you that are having these problems, try turning your settings down to low or something. Dunno how the game will play like that, I run everything on high, and its bad ass. But performance wise you should see SOME improvement.

Don't fuck with the sound options, Tyo found a very annoying bug with that shit.

If nothing anyone has suggested works, you could try to contact support on the relic forums, or search the relic forums to see if anyone else is having the same problems, and there may be a fix.

Noodulz
08-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Oh I bought a "new" card for the 2.8 GHz but the 64 MB actually ran Lineage better because the 128 MB one would drop me from the game or lock up within 10 minutes of playing. The 128 MB one is nVidia not ATI (my bad) and it has major problems with the 2.8 GHz and Lineage. So for now I'm using them set up that way for stability. The nVidia works great in the ol' junky AMD computer.

I will try out the multi-player if it's the tutorial that's the problem. Was just thinking "well I'll get my ass handed to me if the game runs like this multi-player". :shock:

Nurg
08-10-2004, 03:43 AM
Just got done playing a 2 1/2 fucking game 3 -vs- 3! Shit was insane, and learned that the Eldar are by far the most powerful race in the game currently.

I'd had TWO full bases going, attacking the last guy from both sides, plus my last teamate who was Space Marines also attacking, and we could not beat the fucker. Fire Prism tanks fucking own!

1) Eldar
2) Space Marines
3) Chaos
4) Orks

I'd say thats the "current" order of races power wise.

Feyd
08-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Definately Eldar seem the most played race, and maybe overpowered. Usually I try to rush to wraithlords and get about 4 out to send into the other person's base along with some infantry support to take out their posts / tech buildings.

Newbold
08-10-2004, 07:47 AM
The fact that you can spawn more of them from the group itself while in battle helps them out a lot. It also seems that as they die you can spawn more from that particular group. It's like a zerg rush.

Noodulz
08-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Had my first 1v1 game and I am now 1 for 1 :twisted:

Yea it's just the tutorial that's laggy wasn't my system at all. Had a blast playing it this morning before I had to go to work. Can't wait to get home now and kick more ass. :D

Nurg
08-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Funny video: http://www.hazainc.com/newe3dow.wmv

Caedis
08-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Fucking Fileplanet. I'm not signing up for the shit.

Noodulz
08-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Game not workin, fekit. I'll wait 'till release to enjoy. Back to my zombyness in Lineage2..... :roll:

Valstorm
08-10-2004, 10:52 PM
if you didnt download it I guess you missed the opportunity... as it seems open beta is now closed

Valstorm
08-11-2004, 12:16 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/538896/hedrongotpwned.jpg

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :twisted:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/538896/hedrongotpwned2.jpg

Feyd
08-11-2004, 12:37 AM
WTF FIREPRISM?!

h4x0r!!!

Valstorm
08-11-2004, 01:48 AM
Ok here's how to get your badges on your army.

First off, you can only see the badges on Chaos or Space marines, so there isnt much point unless you play those races.

- Must be 64 x 64 pixels.
- Must be saved in the THQ\Dawn of War Beta\Badges folder.
- Need to be saved in the targa (TGA) format and above 24bits/pixel.
- Transparency maps only work on 64bits/pixel TGA format (Alpha layers use white as transparent)

Here's what mine look like on the marines

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/538896/dow_badges.jpg

Hopefully I can figure out how to make banners soon, that way we can all fly up the KAAOS skull during battle and let people know who we are :twisted:

Trickv2
08-11-2004, 03:49 PM
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=31452

some rather friendly players have given their badges/banners to the public

Rann
08-12-2004, 04:23 PM
http://www.kaaos.com/members/rann/entryskull-new.tga

KAAOS skull for use with Dawn of war, drop in badges directory. If it doesnt showup in your browser, then your using a pos browser.

http://www.kaaos.com/members/rann/entryskull-new.tga

try that if you it doesnt show for you.

Valstorm
08-15-2004, 12:21 PM
New patch is up

Release Notes - Beta Patch v1.4 - August 11th

Type Description

Balance Global: All mechanical walkers damage vs. Uber units reduced by 25%
Balance Global: Enabled melee charge modifiers for the Eldar Banshee/Exarch and the Chaos Cultist
Balance Global: Fixed ability recharge modifiers that are applied with the new Commander health upgrades
Balance Global: Increased Bolter Turrets damage vs. Vehicles by 10%
Balance Global: Increased the amount of time it takes to hit decay from 9 minutes to 15 minutes
Balance Global: No more reinforce modification
Balance Global: Reduced the amount of time it takes to tech up to Tier 2
Balance Global: Reduced the cost/range/attack & hitpoints of all the 2nd Tier Listening Posts
Balance Global: Reduced the total amount of decay from 65% to 55%
Balance Global: Removed all Scaling costs from the Listening Posts
Balance Global: Removed Attach ability from all builders
Balance Global: Slightly decreased the cost of advanced Generators
Balance Chaos Marines: Can now get 20 Support Cap
Balance Chaos Marines: Changed the default stance of the Sorcerer to melee
Balance Chaos Marines: Cultist reinforcement time set to 5 seconds
Balance Chaos Marines: Doombolt is now fixed
Balance Chaos Marines: Increased the attack of Chaos Marine Champions with the Power Fist upgrade vs vehicles and buildings
Balance Chaos Marines: Missile Turret now more effective at tracking targets
Balance Chaos Marines: Increased the Bloodthirster's hitpoints by 500
Balance Eldar: Eldar Grav Platforms now cost Vehicle Cap
Balance Eldar: Increased the attack of the Warlock with the Witchblade upgrade.
Balance Eldar: Increased the cost and research time of Relocation ability
Balance Eldar: Increased the cost and research time of Shroud ability
Balance Eldar: Increased the duration of Embolden ability
Balance Eldar: Increased the recharge rate of Relocation ability
Balance Eldar: Reduced the minimum damage for the D-Cannon Turret effectively making it do less damage vs infantry.
Balance Eldar: Relocating buildings now takes longer
Balance Eldar: Researching the Seer Councilís Witchblade weapon upgrade now requires the Eldar player to have reached Tier 2
Balance Eldar: Slightly increased the Shrunken Cannon's cost and creation time
Balance Eldar: The Fire Prismís Prism Cannon now does damage to friendly units
Balance Orks: Adjusted the speed benefit of Ork Boyz while charging into melee combat
Balance Orks: Applied target filters to the Kustom Force Field ability. It no longer affects buildings & vehicles
Balance Orks: Enabled melee charge speed modifiers on the Ork Boyz
Balance Orks: Fixed one of the Squiggoth's special attacks so it should now always inflict fairly consistent damage
Balance Orks: Increased the attack of Nob Leaders with the Power Klaw upgrade vs vehicles and buildings.
Balance Orks: Increased the hit points, cost and creation time of the Tankbusta
Balance Orks: Lowered the accuracy reduction to Ork Boyz while moving
Balance Orks: Ork buildings no longer generate health while in combat
Balance Orks: Ork Mek Shop requires Pile O' GunZ as a prerequisite
Balance Orks: Ork Stikkbomb now knocks down units
Balance Orks: Pile O' GunZ has the Da Boyz Hut as a building prerequisite
Balance Orks: Removed scaling costs on the Waaagh! Banners
Balance Space Marines: Fixed Apothecary healing
Balance Space Marines: Fixed Machine Spirit ability recharge rate
Balance Space Marines: Increased the attack of Sergeants with the Power Fist upgrade vs vehicles and buildings
Balance Space Marines: Increased the recharge rate of Smite ability
Balance Space Marines: Missile Turret now more effective at tracking targets
Balance Space Marines: Reduced Orbital Bombardment ability damage vs. buildings
Balance Space Marines: Reduced the Librarian's hit points, cost and creation time
Balance Space Marines: Slightly reduced the damage inflicted by Smite ability
Bug Fix Enabled auto-apply for colour number editing in the Army Painter screen
Bug Fix Fixed "green tint" bug on older video cards
Bug Fix Fixed bug for dumb routers replacing IP addresses in OUR data
Bug Fix Fixed occasional bug where auto-teams wouldn't be set for automatch games
Bug Fix Fixed bug where Army Painter may fail to load default schemes if any custom schemes override the default
Bug Fix Fixed bug where custom colours badges would now be transferred properly for AI players
Bug Fix Fixed bug where units would delay before changing targets after receiving an attack command
Bug Fix Fixed economic win condition
Bug Fix Fixed exploit where you could capture Strategic Points with "Infiltrated" squads. Squads now stop infiltrating if they start capturing
Bug Fix Fixed exploits with the Jump ability where it would recharge immediately after detaching the Big Mek and attaching to a new squad
Bug Fix Fixed multiple problems with automatch failing to find other players
Bug Fix Fixed multiple problems with Diplomacy screen
Bug Fix Fixed occasional bug where you would get a disconnect message right after logging on to the Online server
Bug Fix Fixed occasional crash when a player dropped while loading a map
Bug Fix Fixed occasional crash when the console was visible
Bug Fix Fixed occasional pathfinding bug where some units would stand around and do nothing while other were capturing
Bug Fix Fixed UI bug where you could unload enemy units from squad holds through the taskbar
Bug Fix Game now detects obsolete video cards and aborts (sorry!)
Bug Fix Major changes to the network code to fix multiple occasional crashes and decrease disconnects and crashes
Bug Fix Major changes to UI code to fix multiple occasional crashes
Bug Fix Removed Grots Everywhere win condition
Bug Fix The game now has better detection for dropped connection from the Online server
Bug Fix Tweaked network timeouts
Bug Fix When a whisper attempt failed, the game will now display an error message in the chat window
Improvement Added track button to games listbox in Game Join screen
Improvement Added Whisper to all Online screens
Improvement AI no longer captures Strategic Points with expensive units
Improvement AI now build fewer Generators
Improvement AI now defends earlier
Improvement Console is now bound to Control-Shift-Tilde, which should fix issues with international keyboard layouts
Improvement Game now display a Game Over message when you lose your connection to the Online server
Improvement Improved performance of lobby screens
Improvement Improved some sounds, including player death
Improvement Improved the star ranking system
Improvement Information messages in the Online lobby screen now show in red text
Improvement Made the insane AI cheat 5% more
Improvement Memory optimization in custom colours
Improvement Memory optimization in tutorial - the game should no longer "stutter" in the tutorial
Improvement Minor changes to the Online screens
Improvement Pressing "Back" in the Online Game Setup screen now takes the host to the lobby and all other players to the Game Join screen.
Improvement Profile details now only written on a successful login or account creation attempt.
Improvement The game should now keep the current scroll position when updating listboxes - this should fix the player list and the game list
Improvement The game will now display a more descriptive error message if your computer is disconnected from the Online

Noodulz
08-15-2004, 02:35 PM
OMFGHFGDSHIT

I just played a 3 on 3 and was havin fun until.....

PZONEAGE

Dude came up with servant of khain or some crap big fukin ass daemon avatar of whatever and made my entire army look like cubscouts caught with their pants around their ankles

Thank god for the patch game was suckin.... now it's holy mofoubar. Rather loose and see insane crap like that i gotta work towards than win easy like i was doin :roll:

Nurg
08-15-2004, 04:33 PM
The game auto patch when you run it, or download?

Trickv2
08-15-2004, 07:10 PM
when you connect to the multiplayer it will give you the option for the d/l, the tutorial is still FUBAR tho

Nurg
08-15-2004, 10:39 PM
the tutorial is still FUBAR tho
I've yet to have a problem with the tutorial, even before the patch. Odd.

Nurg
08-16-2004, 05:23 AM
The new changes are pretty fucking good, there is also some shit they didn't mention either that you'll see when you play as well.

Trickv2
08-16-2004, 05:13 PM
played the tutorial a couple of times yesterday, abusing the pause feature for screenies, after about 2 - 3 mins it really starts to stutter heavily, alot of other players complaining about it aswell

Zerackus
08-17-2004, 08:06 AM
How steep is the learning curve for someone who hasn't played warhammer before? I like the look of it, and the idea appeals to me.

Hedron
08-17-2004, 08:29 AM
It's not very steep to get in and play, if you've played WC3. Learning which units are effective against what, and what patterns are good will take some time, but no more than any other RTS.

Trickv2
08-17-2004, 01:25 PM
start off with Space marines, they are by far the easiest race to use

Nurg
08-17-2004, 03:48 PM
How steep is the learning curve for someone who hasn't played warhammer before? I like the look of it, and the idea appeals to me.
Knowing Warhammer 40K is just kinda knowing the background of the game, if you've played an RTS before you'll do fine.

Noodulz
08-17-2004, 04:08 PM
I get stomped every time I play. Other day I played a 1v1 with a guy who said he was "new". By the time I could make a single vehicle he had swarms of the marines you need a relic to produce and about 6 vehicles tearing through my base. So now I either go get stomped on multi-player or play the uber easy tutorial, neither is really much fun but it's kinda funny seeing what zergs people come up with in mere minutes. :shock:

Hedron
08-17-2004, 04:23 PM
It's all about build order usually, and speed of micro management.

Noodulz
08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Yea, honestly since it wasn't working well at first I didn't look up what requires what and how you get there (build orders). If I do a little studying and looking up junk on the website I'm sure I could do a lot better. I'm a lazy sombish. :D

Dreslin
08-17-2004, 06:35 PM
i had never previously played warhammer before but after 1 tutorial run i had the hang of it, its a pretty easy game to learn. All you do is capture wps and upgrade you troops.

Trickv2
08-19-2004, 04:57 AM
i had never previously played warhammer before but after 1 tutorial run i had the hang of it, its a pretty easy game to learn. All you do is capture wps and upgrade you troops.

play me?

Ericcorp
08-19-2004, 08:27 AM
I got in on the beta, I got the CDkey email today. So I'll be ingame tonight probably.

Trickv2
09-07-2004, 03:57 PM
DoW has gone gold (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=35899)

Nurg
09-07-2004, 04:08 PM
DoW has gone gold (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=35899)
Wasn't hard to see that coming. Already preordered mine. :D

Trickv2
09-07-2004, 04:31 PM
heh, gonna take a trip into Middlesbrough and preorder mine from Game

Valstorm
09-14-2004, 07:59 AM
I've got my copy reserved, cant wait to play the campaign, from what I hear it's the best thing since sliced bread.. which when you think about it isnt strictly true, I mean surely the best thing since sliced bread was sliced and crustless bread... unless of course you like the crust, in which case you should buy DoW anyway.. it r teh r0x0rz!

Xenomorph
09-14-2004, 08:39 AM
I've got my copy reserved, cant wait to play the campaign, from what I hear it's the best thing since sliced bread.. which when you think about it isnt strictly true, I mean surely the best thing since sliced bread was sliced and crustless bread... unless of course you like the crust, in which case you should buy DoW anyway.. it r teh r0x0rz!

you want to see how badass the single player is dl it and play it yourself

http://www.fileplanet.com/betas/dawnofwar_no_contest.aspx

Fileplanets demo of it

Valstorm
09-14-2004, 01:10 PM
I dont usually play demos of games I'm looking forward to, slightly spoils the gameplay if you've already played a level.

Nurg
09-14-2004, 02:15 PM

you want to see how badass the single player is dl it and play it yourself

http://www.fileplanet.com/betas/dawnofwar_no_contest.aspx

Fileplanets demo of it
Demo locks up each time I try to install it, ah well had fun playing the BETA. I'll wait for the full version.

SilentFrost
09-20-2004, 07:19 AM
I got my copy already paid for . PRetty awsome game.

Nurg
09-20-2004, 06:30 PM
I got my copy already paid for . PRetty awsome game.
Went to pick my pre-paid copy up today, only to find out that it was pushed back until tomarrow!! FUCKERS!!

So I picked up the CoD expansion to hold me over, looks fucking good, lots of new shit.

Kiaus
09-20-2004, 07:34 PM
LOTS of new shit... I grabbed mine today too. Multi-player? Learn to drive a tank!!! NO ONE fights on foot I have noticed...

Xenomorph
09-21-2004, 12:15 PM
picked up my copy of dawn of war and star wars battle front today, if anyone up for a game tonight let me know

Nurg
05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Rann has just recently discovered the pure carnage that is Dawn of War, along with the first expansion Winter Assault. If anyone else is up for some RTS action, Rann, and myself will be playing some games, anyone else is welcome to join.

Feyd
05-31-2006, 12:40 AM
Under your exact names?

Nurg
05-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Nurgling was already taken, as was Nurg. So I am on there as [KAAOS]Nurg, Rann is probably [KAAOS]Rann.

EDIT: Should note, Rann, and myself have both Dawn of War, and Winter Assault. If you don't have Winter Assault you suck, but we'll revert back to Dawn of War. Make sure you patch up, the latest patch is 1.4. I belive.

Valstorm
05-31-2006, 01:22 AM
I'll pop down to game sometime soon and pick up the expansion.

Nurg
05-31-2006, 01:39 AM
What a small world ...

So I get home tonight thinking I can get in a DoW/WA game with Rann before having to head to bed, maybe even two games. I see Rann in TeamSpeak, but he's not responding, probably asleep, and just left TeamSpeak running.

I figured fuck it, I'll get some games in by myself then. I join up in the main lobby area, and start looking for a game, really wasn't much of a selection at 1:00am on a Wednesday morning. I see a one -vs- one game called "ILIKEMYBALLS" with two observer slots. Very classy title for a one -vs- one game, clearly the person who created this game is an intellectual, a great tactician, it was going to be a hell of a match!

So I join the game, and then ...

http://www.kaaos.com/members/nurgling/Nurg/BuzzCut.JPG

And yes, I won the game one minute fourty seconds into it, due to the fact that Buzz had Internet problems. :P

Rann
05-31-2006, 02:00 AM
LOL, sorry nurg, my wife just got home from being out of town all weekend, Ill defeinately be on tommorrow day and night.

Feyd
05-31-2006, 02:49 AM
Lol, wow. Go figure ButtplugPsycho playing another game about war. You should have told him about the AMAZING 3 year PS anniversary:

All vehicles are taken away, and you get to fight in the caves to earn them back over a weeks time.

Fucking amazing.

Valstorm
05-31-2006, 04:45 AM
Yep it really is a small world, more than a few times I've had random people on CS:S ask "KAAOS from Planetside???", Worshippers hah. BuzzCutManwhore was KOTOR right?

Feyd
05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Zergclave Val

Drsomewhere
05-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Zergclave Val

Although when buzz was running it, he moved troops in galaxy's like no other (besides KAAOS).

Some classic Enclave http://youtube.com/watch?v=7x_WLbjNDcg&search=planetside

Brellium
06-02-2006, 01:56 AM
We'll I've got this shit currently installed on the ol' HD, so count me in when I have time.

Nurg
06-02-2006, 02:13 AM
OMG up to three wins! w00t! :P