PDA

View Full Version : UXO Canned.

Corkorle
07-01-2004, 12:27 AM
June 30, 2004

Dear Ultima X: Odyssey community members,

As of today, development on Ultima X: Odyssey has ended. We feel that Ultima Online is where we need to focus our online efforts and most of my team will be moving to the UO expansion pack, the UO live team, and an unannounced Ultima Online project. Development on UO will be greatly enhanced as we consolidate our resources behind that franchise.

This isn't an easy decision but itís the right move for the future of all things Ultima, including the community and the team. We look forward to sharing our plans for the future of Ultima Online very soon.

I would like to thank all of the Ultima X: Odyssey supporters who have been with us from the beginning. I hope you will continue to support the Ultima franchise and the development team as they transition to new projects.

Thank you,
David "InQWis" Yee
Producer, Ultima X: Odyssey

Another one bites the dust......

Faust
07-01-2004, 12:39 AM
like anyone didn't see THAT coming

Rann
07-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Isnt that twice theyve cancled followups?

Valstorm
07-01-2004, 09:36 AM
is it still OSI running UO? They were the worst fuckin organisation in the world.

War Knight
07-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Yes, that's twice they have canned their "next" mmorpg. From what I understand (since we nabbed quite a few folks from OSI) is that UO:X was gonna be pretty rockin.

EvilPot
07-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Your thinking of EA thats running UO, OSI ceased to be some time ago. And yes they are the great satan. First cancelled UO2 to refocus (fuckup) UO further and they using the same line for UOX. I was worried about this when EA officially shut down the OSI offices in Austin and tried to move the entire UOX team up to EAs headquarters, guess UOX couldn't survive when the lead devs and probably half the team decided to quit instead. Can't blame the guys for not moving, EA does not have an online strategy that involves making money.

Sul Morthos
07-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Just an opinion, and I could be way off since I don't frequent many offline or "other genre" games (ie - I play shooters and MMORPGs).

EA needs to stick with what they know, which is sports games. They will continue to fuck up Massive Online Games, so far they have a perfect record at it.

EvilPot
07-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Your pretty much on the mark there. They have never made a successfull online venture, UO was all OSI and Garriott. All EA does is make the sims, repackage sports games, and buy out/dismantle any dev houses worth a damn. I really hope they will continue to bleed money from their online fuckups maybe they wil have less cash around to buy out everyone.