PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding Guitarist

Faust
06-21-2004, 12:56 PM
It's been a long time since I saw a really outstanding metal guitarist. I don't know if your into that or not. Given the main demographics of KAAOS members, I thought there might be some interest in this guy.

In my youth I was, as most kids my age, quite into guitar players and had many debates about who was faster, better, etc. Over the past decade I've gotten more into Accoustic stuff, but in the day I've seen most of the guys "legendary". I'd say Joe Satriony, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai, Yngwei Malmstien, etc. live in the top ten. Others could be added or argued, of course possibly Garry Moore, Steve Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix and others for their contributions.... whatever. Point is, I know guitar players of 20 years ago but havn't been in the mix for a decade... so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Having mentioned this to a friend of mine who is into heavy metal still, he took me to see a guy on Friday night. Ater watching this guy, I'm gonna have to put him into my (somewhat aged) top... five, I guess.

This guy was really over the top in terms of skill and speed. I saw him doing things I'd never even heard of with a guitar such as using the cut-off to distinguish his notes. He also has very long fingers such that he could tap in 3rd position while holding cord in 1st. His smallest finger, at times, was moving so fast it looked like a blur. I was extremely impressed... and then he played a compilation of Led Zeppelin tunes that threw me for a loop. He played Pages stuff that Page could only play in the studio due to the harmonics and so forth. Basically said, this guy outplayed Page at his own stuff.

Unfortunatly for this guy he's got almost zero on the "showmanship" side. He's the shy savant type, I guess. He was in Guns and Roses when Slash bailed (Slash sux, IMHO) but just decided to stop showing up for stuff. He's been pretty into the Primus jam sessions and hangs out with Bootsie Collins and the Parlament scene for a bunch of experamental stuff too. That all adds up to some pretty bizzare "music" at times. I like to call it "paintin pictures". Each of his albums are quite different in terms of style, etc.

IN FACT this guy is so odd that he wears a Mike Miers mask and a Chicken Bucket on his head... I shit you not. This is where you scratch your head and say "WTF?" yep, his name is Buckethead

Here are some pictures I swipped off the net:

http://www.twenty12studios.com/files/bucket15.jpg

http://www.mygnr.com/images/buckethead/MYGNR_BUCKETHEAD_185-209.jpg

http://www.celebstation.org/musicians/buckethead/buckethead-13.jpg

http://www.celebstation.org/musicians/buckethead/thumb/buckethead-21.jpg

Sul Morthos
06-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Yea, was reading about him a few months ago. Saw something about him, looked him up, and said exactly "WTF" about the chicken bucket bit.

There is a lot of speculation on exactly who he is, but so far nothing is definite (as far as I know).

Some good stuff, and Yngwie Malmsteen was one of my favorites in high school (80's) in terms of pure guitar.

Course you could also add Eddie Van Halen to the list for pure innovation and style, and Kirk Hammett is a nice bit of fun as well. I was stuck on a few Dokken Albums for a while as well, and while George Lynch is not terribly innovative, I always dug his sound.

Faust
06-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Eddie's a bit derivative of Vai, IMHO. Although Eddie showed his shit better and earlier than Vai in the great scheme of things. Eddie showed us stuff that hadn't been done before on the big stage, but I always had the feeling he learned it from someone when I caught Vai's act.

I've never liked Dokken's style personally. I always thought Dokken was a poser so I never really listen to his stuff in great detail... of course I should include that I had a pretty nasty acid trip while listening to some Dokken so my opinion is clouded with an intense desire to run like hell or kill some fucker whenever I hear that stuff....

Hammett does some pretty insane stuff, and has all the skill needed to hold down one of the best groups in history. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his stuff a great deal... but I've never really thought of him in the experamental or redefining standpoint.

Speaking of which, the drummer for Mr Bucket was the guy in Primus (Brian Mantia) who made me re-evaluate my declarations of Keith Moon and Neil pert being the most skilled drummers of our time... however, truth is, Keith and Neil are dummers of a long distant time... I'm sure there have been others since then. Basically I walked away thinking that my opinions on "best drummers" have become obsolete.

KingKobra
06-21-2004, 02:24 PM
David Gilmour from Pink Floyd is an amazing guitarist. I've easily seen over 200 live concerts since I started back in cough1984cough (Ratt! with BonJovi opening act). Maybe not for speed but man he can make that thing sing. Easily the best live guitar solo I've ever seen.

Sul Morthos
06-21-2004, 02:52 PM
RATT with Bon Jovi, ROFLMAO.

This is easily going to devolve into a "Shittiest concert I have ever been to" thread. Not that RATT or Bon Jovi are bad in concert...seen em both.

Kaljoren
06-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Still gona have to say, Yngwie kicks total ass.....the man is a monster on the guitar.

Faust
06-21-2004, 03:43 PM
I think I can compete for Best Concert... my first ever...

AC/DC (back in black) opened for Rush (moving pictures) circa 1981 (I think)

I was in 8th grade.... and got laid in the parking lot before the show.

Sul Morthos
06-21-2004, 04:15 PM
LOL. I can just envision the feathered hair.

8th grade, heh. Starship and the Outfield (hey it was free and she was hot), and David Lee Roth opening for Poison. That was a combination of best hair (hairsprayed versus mullet). First time I saw Metallica as well...and I was a bit young for that crowd at the time (plus they really didn't have much to play).

I think RATT might have been the same year, really don't remember.

Faust
06-21-2004, 04:50 PM
RATT? Bon Jovi? Holy christ... Hair Bands. /shiver

Gilmour. Yeah, I would agree. Gilmour has a few solos that rank in my favorite colum. Along with Santana and a few others I think their skill was less on the "technical" and more the "strategic" they knew more about when to play rather than how to light up the speed. If you listen to Satrioni he tried to pull a bunch of this off in Surfing with the Alien.

I was never too enamered with the Hair Bands and found myself digging Surf music in the mid 90's. A few bands we found at bars like the Aquavelvets and a few others got me into the technical/melow stuff you might like if your into that sort of thing This buckethead guys got a few moodier songs from one of his albums that reall hits the nail on the head in that department too. Actually, that's what drew me into the concert in the first place.

That's when I started listening to accoustic stuff by Jerry Garcia who released a couple albums with a guy named David Grisman. Grisman is the undisputed champion of the Mandolin although he's not into the whole High Lonesome bluegrass stuff; more into "newgrass" or California Style... or whatever. After a decade I'm kinda pooped out on that stuff though.

Surf music lead me back to the college days of Ska (Real Big Fish, Buck-o-Nine, etc) and eventually to the Long Beach Dub Allstars currently.

lah blah blah...

Ritual
06-21-2004, 06:15 PM
good to see someone is still playing jackson guitars. i had a sweet charvel/jackson model 6 back in the day (with a seymour duncan invader).

gilmour is definitely top 5 in my book. i of course love all the greats but i am into more obscure players that don't get as much recognition; kevin shields, martin barre, robert fripp, alex lifeson, mikael akerfeldt.

i have been on a ritchie blackmore kick for the past 2 weeks for some reason.

Valstorm
06-21-2004, 06:53 PM
here's another outstanding guitarist

Mario Guitar (http://media.ebaumsworld.com/marioguitar.wmv)

Faust
06-21-2004, 07:06 PM
kevin shields, martin barre, robert fripp, alex lifeson, mikael akerfeldt.

Hmm. Names I'm not familiar with. What style are they?

Sul Morthos
06-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Well they are the obscure ones dammit!

Yea my 83 Custom-built Strat with a seymor duncan double-pickup on the bottom (and Kahler tremelo) is my pride and joy. Love that guitar.

Faust
06-21-2004, 07:31 PM
here's another outstanding guitarist

Oh please.

http://www.redmusic.com/video/Yngwie/Baroque.asx

Rann
06-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Alex Lifeson = Rush.

The guitarist for Dream Theater. Cannot remember his name.

The guitarist for Testament. Ungodly.

Randy rhodes was good, but alot of his stuff was repetitive.

Dimebag darrel, just a personal favorite, love the excessive use of pinch harmonicis ;p

I've played off and on for over 13 years. Those guys were some of my favorites.

Always liked Vai's jazzier stuff.

Oh yeah its Joe Satriani ;p

malhavok
06-21-2004, 09:26 PM
e guitarist for Dream Theater. Cannot remember his name.

John Petrucci. Best guitarist of the 90's - today, imo.

The guitarist for Testament. Ungodly.

Alex Skolnik. Monster.

Nice list Rann, ya faggot. ;)

Satriani, Vai, great players. I still buy every Satch CD that he puts out. Never disappoints. Alot of the lesser known guitarists from the 80's are still churning and burning...Brad Gillis, Reb Beach...favorites of mine.

Wish I could have seen G3 this year, but the fuckers never come past the rockies. Satch, Vai and Yngwie...I'd spooged non-stop. :(

Ritual
06-22-2004, 12:23 AM
heh, believe it or not i saw brad gillis playing for ozzy one year. had a kick-ass black custom les paul with a whammy bar. a lot of people looked at him as a bubble-gum band guitar player but he had some chops.

Vodi
06-22-2004, 05:25 PM
What about John Scofield, Steve Howe, Mike Stern, Al DeMiola, Robert Fripp. The only guy you folks mentioned that even comes close to these guys is Steve Vai..

Ritual
06-22-2004, 05:49 PM
I mentioned Robert Fripp. I've always loved Steve Howe. Yes Al Dimeola is an incredible guitarist. Steve Vai is not one of my personal favorites, although I did enjoy his work in the movie Crossroads.

Vodi
06-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Ah, missed that Ritual.. I too was not big on Steve Vai until I heard his first "Flexible" album.. I think it was realeased in 1981 or 82. All that bunk he did with David Lee Roth and White Snake were, well, lame...

Faust
06-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Wish I could have seen G3 this year, but the fuckers never come past the rockies. Satch, Vai and Yngwie...I'd spooged non-stop.

Friend of mine said he went to that and told me Yngwie was stepping in front of the other guys and trying to upstage them the whole time. figures. heh.

Tusc
06-23-2004, 12:08 PM
I can assure you that someone wearing a chicken bucket for a hat and playing some ridiculous looking Gibson Flying V imitation won't ever make my list of top guitarists. Where the fuck did they find that guy?

Noodulz
07-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Here's the truth, the way, and the light....... (as i see it)

You can play as fast and furious as you want, and mad respect to those you mentioned because I saw Joe Satriani live and believe me it was amazing. I wish i could remember his bassist's name at that concert because he actually came close to showing up J.S. onstage so the entire show was a treat.

My first concert was Iron Maiden and Twisted Sister (shut up, stop laughing, I SAID SHUT UP!) in 1984, powerslave tour etc. My favorite was Megadeath, Warlock and Sanctuary in.... i forget....

Anyhow I appreciate the love of guitar and i LOVE metal. So here's my point! Guitarists are only as good.... in the end.... as they are with their band. It's like being the greatest solo PvP'er ever but when you got 5 people almost as good as you to fight... well hang it up. I'd love to hear this buckethead dude cuz I'm always lookin for the next big thing but really i'm still stuck on....

1) metallica - ride the lightning and kill 'em all

2) ministry *orgasm* ("just one fix" i can't ever get enough of)

3) er... ok pantera

4) slipknot

5) Primus

6) Led Zeplin - love tha tangerine

7) AC/DC, Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers

8) and here's some crap that's obscure but nice: OTEP "blood pig", five foot thick "sirens", spike 1000 ..., substance D "california"

9) lowest list of props... the Notorous B.I.G., Kitty, Filter (welcome to the fold), Deftones, System of a Down, Cypris Hill, etc.....

OK! So i like adrenaline music, i also like the braveheart CD for some reason :oops:

It's all about expression, that's what art is. Most of the guitarists named in this thread as the "top ones" I can't even seriously listen to unless i can't find a better CD laying around. That's just me though. Glad i could wake up this dead topic! :P

-Noodulz